Trump faces awkward silence at United Nations as his socialism joke bombs
FPL: About 90 percent of customers restored
Beshear Joins AGs in Urging Insurers to Review Policies in Opioid Fight
Georgia Tech Protests: Videos & Photos From the Demonstrations
Man in clown mask chases scared daughter, neighbor shoots at him
Australia's Special Forces To Be Used During Domestic Terror Attacks
17 July 2017, 03:38 | Rufus Hill
Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull announced sweeping reforms to Australian Defence Force "call-out" powers on Sunday, that would allow for the Australian military to take further charge in responding to terror attacks on the continent.
But the main change will remove from the Defence Act a clause that says the military can only be deployed if the state "is not, or is unlikely to be, able to protect itself against the domestic violence".
"But defence must be able to contribute effectively to domestic counter-terrorism efforts, in addition to its offshore counter-terrorism missions and regional capacity-building activities". "We have to stay ahead of them", Malcolm Turnbull said.
"I want to reassure all Australians that the arrangements we have in place at the moment are exceptionally effective and the evidence for that is the fact we have stopped a dozen terrorist attacks from occurring on our soil", Mr Keenan said.
The measures - including specialised training by special forces for law enforcement teams - will provide more Commonwealth support to state police forces, which are still acknowledged as the appropriate "first responders".
The move, which was brought about following a review after the Nice and Paris terror attacks will take pressure off the country's police forces in relation to handling terror events as they unfold.
NEW powers to prevent suspected terrorists from leaving the scene of an incident.
"In 2005 we never imagined Australia would be under the current terrorism threat that it is", he told ABC radio.
The package addresses some of the coroner's recommendations in the report on the 2014 Lindt cafe siege, in which two victims and the attacker, Man Haron Monis, died. That provision will be abolished under the Turnbull government's changes, meaning states could request federal help even if they retained control of the situation.
Mr Turnbull said the new system would better support states in preparing for terrorist incidents and improve information flows between the ADF and police during an incident.
In practice, this means that it will be easier to deploy the Defence Forces in response to domestic terror incidents.
Asked whether the government had used the ADF as props at the announcement given the striking imagery of the commandos, Mr Marles said he had not seen the images of the press conference but added that "there is a fine line between acknowledging and indeed celebrating the incredible work that our defence force personnel do on the one hand and politicising them on the other".
Former SAS commander-turned federal MP Andrew Hastie has previously said the Sydney siege response demonstrated state police were "not up to the task" of dealing with the unique nature of Islamist terrorism.
Winnie the Pooh censored in China
Articles about the censorship circulated on Wechat, mentioning rumours that Winnie-the-Pooh programmes were also set to be banned. (Web Desk) - Chinese social media has banned any mention of fictional character Winnie the Pooh , The Financial Times reported .
New Motorola Moto G5S Plus images leak
Around one and a half lakh, people visited the Moto E4 Plus page within the first hour of product going live on Flipkart. This leaked device has an EMEA label on it, meaning it is a model meant for sale in Europe, Middle East and Africa.
Leaked Poster Surfaces For Xiaomi's Mi 5X Device
As it can be seen that the Xiaomi has struck a deal with popular Chinese celebrity, Kris Wu for promoting the Xiaomi 5X . On the pricing front, the upcoming Xiaomi Mi 5X is likely to be priced at CNY 1,999, which is approximately Rs 19,000.
Sevilla signs Nolito from Manchester City
He becomes the Andalusians' fifth summer capture after Ever Banega, Sebastien Corchia, Guido Pizarro and Luis Muriel. The 30-year-old forward has signed a three-year deal.